Friday, October 30, 2009

Steampunk!? What the hell is that!?

Happy Halloween, Clint.

Steampunk. I mean, honestly, I have no time for more social groups/genres! It was hard enough in high school to get all this stuff straight. Goth, emo, jock, prep, nerd, punk, stoner, mallrat, etc. All groups/genres I am familiar with. I understand that when you describe someone as "preppy" there will most likely be J. Crew involved (no problems with J. Crew though...corporate sponsor? no? okay, moving on...). However, at some point, these groups began to change. There was the emergence of the "nerdcore" movement. I still have no idea what that means, but I imagine that it looks something like the members of the band Harry and the Potters...or Napoleon Dynamite. Really, I guess I should have known that there would be newer and weirder groups to arise. Like the mythical hydra...remove one head, two spring up in its place.

I don't know what's more scary, the hydra or the tiny piece of cloth that stands between us and Hercules' "labors".

However, "steampunk" fascinates me. Firstly, because I hadn't heard of it until tonight, and secondly, because people are so into it. But what is "steampunk"? Like all children whose parents wanted them to be literate and therefore actually told them what a dictionary is and how to use it, I looked it up...on urbandictionary.com.

" 1. Steampunk is a subgenre of speculative fiction, usually set in an anachronistic Victorian or quasi-Victorian alternate history setting. It could be described by the slogan "What the past would look like if the future had happened sooner." It includes fiction with science fiction, fantasy or horror themes.
Medieval Steampunk: Speculative fiction set during the Middle Ages.
Victorian Steampunk: A modern Science Fiction work (post-1930s) that is set in the early parts of the industrial revolution.
Western Steampunk: Science fiction set in the American Old West.
Industrial/Modern Steampunk: Science fiction taking place in the late industrial age, early modern age; i.e. World War 1, World War 2
2. A lifestyle choice, wherein the participants embrace deliberate anachronism and quasi-anachronism as seen in steampunk fiction. Often characterized by modifying one's electronic gadgets to make them look a century out-of-date."

Thank you, urbandictionary.com. The idea is almost awesome. Why, yes, I do like to imagine that I'm a space cowboy...or even just living in an 19th century England that knew leaches were not good for you when you're sick. However, it gets a little more interesting when you read that second definition: "A lifestyle choice...embrace deliberate anachronism...make [gadgets] look a century out-of-date." ...WHAT!? I should say that the note after this definition said that there was a clear separation from "steampunk" and reenactors...mostly because reenactors have jobs. I'm kidding...reenactors don't have jobs. (haHA!)

Now, I'm really not sure that I'm against this (again, space cowboy). I mean, who doesn't love Firefly? Obviously you couldn't do this all the time, but I guess it's kinda like LARPing with a gun that is made out of clock parts. And honestly? It looks kinda cool...I mean, I totally would have been friends with these kids in high school (and probably now too...let's just get real with ourselves here). The thing that really gets me interested in this whole thing is the steampunk Star Wars movement. I mean, c'mon, you know how I feel about Star Wars.

I'm getting this tattooed on my back as we speak.

So I guess I should say that I'm sold. I mean, I'm not going to be donning a top hat and monocle, whilst hunting evil robots anytime soon. Let's look at what a nerdy young person could be doing: D&D? LARPing? World of Warcraft? All very much on the fringe...all kinda frowned upon by regular society. However, of all the things that are weird and out there...this one speaks to me. I mean...if I can mix Blade Runner and Rio Bravo how is that not awesome!? Yeah I can't think of any way either! So let's give the steampunks a chance...

PS - If you want more star wars steampunk stuff...look at Marcel E. Mercado's blog...That's where I got the cool Luke print.

No comments:

Post a Comment