Friday, October 23, 2009

STOLE YO COOKIES!!!


Good morning, Clint.

So...I was in the teacher workroom a moment ago. Often they have food out to be eaten by the teachers. This is usually a gift from a parent or one of the other teachers. Now as I look at this plate of cookies, I am confronted with a dilemma: How many do I take?

This is something that has always bothered me. The food is, most of the time, delicious. And I guess it should be noted that I usually have several cups of coffee for breakfast every morning. So come 3rd period (my planning period), I am starving! This is not just something limited to workroom cookies, though. This extends to basically anytime that someone offers you something.
For example, a paraphrased conversation between Amber and I at a wedding...
"That was really good..."
"Yeah, I know...I've never had that kind of BBQ before..."
"Really? Wow..."
"Yeah"
"..."
"..."
"...do you think we can get seconds?"
Do you see the problem? Something that is laid out for you, but the collective you...not just you personally. You're expected to take something from that plate or that bowl or whatever...it's almost an insult if you do not! I mean how would that parent/teacher feel if the cookies were all still there at the end of the day? But the issue is the line betwixt the grateful and the gluttonous (kinda like "the fast and the furious"...did you see what I did there? I know, I'm awesome). I don't want to be the guy that turns into Cookie Monster anytime anyone puts food out in the work room.
...that's good enough for me.

So, what's the rule on this? I'm going to call Raina this evening...but until then, I asked my 8th graders. Some choice quotes:
"Why does it matter...nobody knows who took the cookies..."
"Well why would you care about being polite..."
"Just leave one...why are you looking at me like that?"
...yeah.

So anyway, I just took two.
So yeah...I took two.


No comments:

Post a Comment