Thursday, October 29, 2009

All Hallow's (paganevilsatanisticbloody) Eve

Hello Tyler,

I'm not sure what the weather is like in Tennessee, but here in God's Country it's been abysmal (endlessly rainy). I suppose it's only good preparation for my semester in Dublin. I find the weather, as well as the approaching (evil and satanic) holiday fitting to the subject of my post however. I have become obsessed with scary movies.

As you know, my home in Tennessee is literally in the middle of the woods and looks like the setting for every single horror film ever made. Distant neighbors, dilapidated shacks, blood sucking vampires, it's got everything! So for the past 21 years of my life, I've never even come close to watching scary movies. The only "scary" movie I watched when I was a kid was Scream and that was because it was playing at a friend's house (in childhood, that's a scary movie). It wasn't until last Halloween that I actually began to embrace scary movies. I watched The Shining and fell in love. Not only did that film cement my love affair with Stanley Kubrick films, but it also put the thought in my head that maybe this whole scary movie thing ain't such a bad gig.

The other major contributor to my new obsession is my Folklore in Film class. That's right, I'm in a class that talks about urban legends and then we watch movies about zombies, ghosts and birthing the child of Satan (Rosemary's Baby). So this evening, I rented the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and the remake of The Hills Have Eyes (having watched the original two nights ago). As of right now, my obsession with scary films is going strong, however, I'm thinking the true test of my fascination will be over Thanksgiving break when I return home and have to walk from my car to the front door in the middle of the night.

On another note, what are you doing for Halloween? I'm not sure yet, but I'm sure it will be something debaucherous and condemned in the eyes of Pat Robertson. Hey! Maybe I should be Pat Robertson? No... Too scary.

2 comments:

  1. You would absolutely love my Stanley Kubrick Film Class! Come to it with me sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. May I make a few suggestions for the future? Okay. Good.

    -Suspiria
    -Trick 'R Treat
    -John Carpenter's Halloween
    -They Live
    -A Nightmare on Elm St. 3: Dream Warriors
    -The Monster Squad
    -The Night of the Creeps
    -Legally Blonde 2: Red, White, and Pink

    ReplyDelete