Monday, April 5, 2010

The Confessional Booth

Good morning Tyler,

First, let's address your question: who is my favorite photographer and a specific image they produced. I don't hold it against you, but I hate this question. There are so many amazing photographers out there, and I'm always discovering new ones. It's difficult to decide. For a long time it was Annie Leibovitz, but then she decided to stop making good images. I believe, of the "legendary" photographers, my favorite would have to be Richard Avedon. This man captured the essence of beauty, reality, truth and was a master of the art. My favorite photograph that he produced is, currently, this one:


Not only because this photo is absolutely beautiful, but because the story behind it reminds me that Avedon was no more human than I am and was always struggling with the craft. Avedon took this photo, it shook the fashion world, and Avedon was not pleased. He claimed that the photo was ruined because the woman's white sash should have been flowing the other direction (to our right). The photo reminds me that, even in the most beautiful image there is always room for improvement.

Now for your question, sir: you're allowed to watch only Spongebob Squarepants episodes for an entire year or listen to only Avril Lavigne albums for 8 months, which would you choose? Explain.

And finally, I've decided to start a new string of posts that, I think, will keep our readers entertained and also make me sound like a complete fool. With this post, I will list things that people do not know about me or I have done my damnedest to conceal from general knowledge. So here it goes, my first confession:

-I have no idea what the plot of Fiddler on the Roof is... I know it involves Jews.
-I still cannot successfully say the phrase, "6 in 1, half dozen in the other."
-It took me a few years to actually figure out what that phrase meant.
-I don't know the rules of basketball.
-I hate it when people send me YouTube videos and tell me I "have to watch this."
-I hate Twitter with every fiber of my being.
-I am addicted to Twitter.
-I have a socially destructive fear of clowns.
-I found Little Miss Sunshine annoyingly proud of itself.
-The first CDs I ever owned were the Spice Girls and Backstreet Boys.
-I once did not shower for 6 days straight.
-I used teeth whitening strips when I was 16... I don't regret it.
-When I worked at Chicken Nick's, I would talk to the Mexican cooks with a Mexican accent. It didn't help.
-I got up at 4 am and waited in line for the iPhone 3G in 2008.

Forgive me friends, I made a fool of myself.

3 comments:

  1. "-I found Little Miss Sunshine annoyingly proud of itself."

    this is why were best buds.

    "I would talk to the Mexican cooks with a Mexican accent."

    that too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kid, the phrase is "6 and 1 half dozen of another." ...at least that what I've always understood it to be. I only just recently found out it's "For all intents and purposes." I thought it was "for all intensive purposes."

    so don't consider me an expert. I know that'll be a difficult change in mindset.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.goenglish.com/SixOfOneAHalfDozenOfTheOther.asp

    ReplyDelete