Thursday, April 15, 2010

Boots in Asses: It's just American.

Good evening Tyler,

After my recent excursion to Paris and my time here in Dublin, I've come to a conclusion: I'm ready for some America. I'm heading back to the states on May 13th, and the timing could not be better. I don't know anywhere else I'd rather be than America in the summer. America in the summer is just awesome, especially in the South. You can't find more patriotism than in the South in the summer. My second favorite holiday, July 4th, is quickly approaching and I cannot wait to drink beer, eat burgers and blow shit up. There simply is no greater way of celebrating the birth of the greatest nation on the face of the planet. That being said, I've now got a list (as I usually do) of things that I miss from America/intend to take full advantage of upon my return. Here goes nothin:


1. Tasty American beer - Visions of PBR, High Life, Boulevard Wheat and Blue Moon have all been dancing in my head for the past few weeks. Don't get me wrong, I love Guinness but after a while, y'just gotta have an ice cold ale/lager. And it tastes even better on a scalding, humid day in the Tennessee backwoods with good friends and good food. And that's right, I mentioned PBR and Miller High Life... Beer orientation is not a choice.


2. American beaches - See the thing about the beaches in Dublin is... You don't go in them, you just look at them. The summer highs in Dublin are usually in the 60s, maybe 70s. This doesn't help the water temperature. I'm ready to relax on a South Carolina beach again and listen to some Allman Brothers.


3. Baseball - The season has just begun so I haven't missed much luckily, but I haven't been able to catch a game yet. I love the Braves and can't wait to watch a few Saturday afternoon games. Maybe even take a roadtrip to ATL for a game? Let's make it happen.


4. American dollars - As useless as these little suckers have become lately, I miss having dollar bills. All this European money is different sizes and color coded, which isn't exactly helpful to a colorblind kid. And don't forget the smell of a fresh dollar bill. Also, it'll be nice to actually withdraw money from an ATM and not receive a 5 dollar transaction fee!


5. Driving on the right side of the road - So, while I was in Paris I was actually confused as to why we were driving on the right side of the road. I've been in Dublin so long that driving on the left side of the road has become normal to me. This is simply ridiculous. It'll take me some getting used to, but I'll be back to my right sided ways in no time.


6. Street buskers that actually play good music - My last day in Paris included an American street busker (pictured above) who played some sick blues on a resonator and harmonica on the Metro. It was so nice to hear some good music being played again from a busker because the majority of buskers in Dublin suck. There are lots of teenagers who grab their acoustic and play Oasis and shitty Europop bands all night. Then there are actual bands that bring an entire stage with them and sound like generic Kings of Leon ripoffs. I can't wait to walk the streets of Nashville again and hear mandolin pluckin.

So there it is, the things I miss most/can't wait to utilize again. I love Dublin and I love Paris even more, but America just has that certain something that I'll always love more. See ya soon.

P.S. I know your students have recently found the blog and I know my posts are always riddled with profanity, but my logic is that they probably won't read my posts. Or at least not read the entire thing so hey, who gives a shit? Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment