Monday, March 15, 2010

Only Stupid People?

Good morning Tyler,

Let's set a few things straight. You didn't blog. And the laws of the blog (and according to Bob Loblaw's Law Blog) dictate that you be punished for this heinous crime. The only problem is... I didn't blog either. My excuse is that I'm in Europe and we don't do anything in a timely manner. Nonetheless, punishment should be rightly enforced. Unless you wanna call a truce? Just think about it.


In the meantime, for our readers' sake, I'd like to talk about my trip to England. I'm currently sitting in the home of my good friends, the Farishes, in Northeast England. And believe it or not, coming from Ireland to England has actually been a culture shock. It's hard to describe why or how the two nations are so different, but when I came here it definitely felt different. I'm terrified at how bad my reverse culture shock will be when I get back to America. I think the best thing about coming to England though is all the questions. Upon my arrival, one of Michael's housemates asked me: "I know this might be a stupid question, but do you have the TV show 'Friends' back in America?"

You mean the TV show with all the Americans in it? Yeah... Yeah we've got that. We're only on season 4 though. Other questions have included:

-So in America, do you have donuts every morning for breakfast?
-You don't have cold water in the South, do you?
-Have you seen that guy that makes all the food?
-Do you have taxis in America?

And my personal favorite: "Are you the famous Clint Alwahab?" That's right, someone actually asked me if I was the famous Clint Alwahab. I've got to say, it's a great/ego exploding feeling when someone asks you that. He asked that because he said he always saw all his friends on Facebook talking to me on my wall. Thanks Facebook!

Now, this whole stupid question thing doesn't work just one way. Michael's visits to America have included questions such as: "Do you have water in England?" and "What language do you speak in England?" Where did we go wrong? When did we stop using our brains? When did we start forgetting where Europe is? I guess the bright side to all of this is that we're asking questions and we're curious about different cultures... Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment